Monday, September 2, 2024

Camillian Romans - Equites

This time, I have a unit of Roman Equites as they would have looked during the so called "Camillian Reforms" following the sack of Rome in 390BC until the outbreak of the Second Punic War in 218BC.

They will be classified under the Lion Rampant rules as light cavalry, as my own research points to the Roman cavalry of this time having little to no armor in contrast to the Equites of the Second Punic War onward. Given the amount of tunic showing, I made sure each cavalryman has a noticeable angusticlavia, the two vertical tyrian purple stripes on the tunic denoting their equestrian rank. I also made sure that the leader of the unit in silvered armor is wearing red senatorial boots, as I intend this unit to double as the Counsul's voluntarii. I primarily used Armies of the Macedonian and Punic Wars by Duncan Head plus their depiction in the Medieval II: Total War mod Europa Barbarorum II (seen below).




I used a combination of different Victrix sets (I bought a bunch of them out of boredom while waiting for my eyes to recover from surgery). The horses are all Republican Roman cavalry, the riders are a mix of Greek light cavalry, one Republican Roman, and mildly converted Iberian cavalry. For the shields I used the small ones from the Greek slingers, as the shields used at this time were considerably smaller.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Camillian Romans - Equites

This time, I have a unit of Roman Equites as they would have looked during the so called "Camillian Reforms" following the sack of...